February 17th, 2015
SUMMIT NATURAL GAS OF MAINE REMINDS CUSTOMERS TO REMOVE SNOW AND ICE FROM NATURAL GAS EQUIPMENT.
With severe winter weather continuing across Maine, Summit Natural Gas is reminding customers to keep natural gas meters and appliance vents clear of snow and ice to ensure safe, continuous service.
Although natural gas equipment is designed to withstand harsh weather conditions, damage can be caused by snow and ice accumulation, and proper ventilation is required to keep equipment running smoothly. Vents for natural gas appliances prevent the accumulation of carbon monoxide within buildings, and ensures combustion equipment operates properly. Customers should check the vents on their home or business and remove any snow or ice from the area. Additionally, Summit Natural Gas encourages all customers to check and test their carbon monoxide detectors to ensure the equipment is working properly.
The natural gas meters should also be kept clear of ice and snow to avoid damage to the equipment and the meter should remain visible and accessible for maintenance personnel. Snow and ice should be removed from natural gas equipment as gently as possible, using a broom rather than a shovel or kicking the meter and pipes. Damage to the meter can also occur from overhead hazards, and customers are encouraged to remove icicles from overhead eaves and gutters to prevent dripping water from splashing and freezing on the meter or vent pipe.